There's no place like home

On September 20th, 2014, I left home for the first time for a new destination: Chichester. It was somewhere I'd visited before as a child and been to an open day two year previous but it was a new place for me. I went there with no idea what to expect, except that there was a Cathedral. So, it suffices to say, that I was terrified on the morning of moving day. But, three years later, I was leaving the city with no clue when I'd ever return. I'd never thought that I'd live somewhere else growing up, I was under the assumption that I'd stay in the town I was born for the rest of my life but if going to University, if Chichester, taught me anything, it's that living somewhere else may be scary but it quickly becomes part of who you are.



Chichester is unlike any place I've ever been to before. There is a Cathedral in the centre of the town with old Roman walls dotted around and the university campus is just stunning (see the second picture). The original building was transformed into a school for 'masters' by William Otter in 1839. Yes, it's a very old and beautiful building that just looks perfect in all seasons. There are more modern buildings but this building is the focal point for the Bishop Otter campus.




I feel so blessed that I was able to attend University here. In the summer, we would often sit on the lawn for seminars and workshops instead of staying in the classroom.






My favourite place on the campus is in cloisters, the old church which was also converted into an academic space. There is a long soft bench below some beautiful stained glass windows. I would often sit beneath them before lectures or if I wanted to read a book and I just couldn't get over how beautiful they looked when the sun shined through.







It wasn't until my final year that I actually visited Chichester Cathedral on a weekend when my Grandad visited. It's shocking that it took three years for me to actually see the Cathedral that I literally walked past every day. 












 There are no words to describe how I feel knowing that I won't be living in this beautiful and historic city anymore. I really hope you don't mind this post being more of photographs than actual words, I fear I'd just be repeating myself about my love for the city and how much I miss it. It may be a small place but there is plenty to explore and for me, Chichester will always be home. I am a firm believer that you can have more than one home and Chichester will always be one of them for me. It's taught me more about myself that I thought possible and I got to adult there for quite some time which was fun and scary as hell.

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to read, well look at this post. I hope you've enjoyed it. If you haven't visited Chichester before, I highly recommend going. Also, it's only down the road from some pretty lovely beaches.

Tiffani. x




Comments

Popular Posts